Supplemental WIPA Training Programs
WIPA NTDC Supplemental Training: Supporting Beneficiaries in Pursuit of Self-Employment Web Course
Format: Web Course
Date(s): March 22 - May 7, 2021
This course provides practical information on how to support and advise a beneficiary who is interested in pursuing self-employment. We will begin the course with a brief overview of how Social Security treats earnings from self-employment and the role of the CWIC and community partner. Building on this foundation, we will explain how the work incentives apply in each disability program related to self-employment.
During this training you will learn:
- The CWIC and community partner roles and responsibilities in advising and supporting beneficiaries pursuing self-employment;
- Where you can find other resources to help support beneficiaries in areas not within the role of the CWIC and community partner;
- How self-employment impacts Title II, SSI and other public benefits; and
- Practical tools and techniques to help you provide advisement and support beneficiaries who are pursuing or are engaged in self-employment.
We will address the following key topics:
- Lesson 1: CWIC Role in Self-employment Cases
- Lesson 2: Defining Self-employment
- Lesson 3: Basic Business Concepts
- Lesson 4: Self-employment and Title II
- Lesson 5: Self-employment and SSI
- Lesson 6: Self-employment and PASS
- Lesson 7: Reporting Self-employment Income
Each of the lessons contains a video presentation (or alternate format) and supplemental reading material. The course is largely self-directed and self-paced, but all required coursework must be completed by the last day of the course.
In order to receive credit for the course, you are required to complete the following:
- Achieve a score of 80% or higher on the final assessment (with two attempts provided);
- Complete the case study knowledge check; and
- Post one question about the course content to the discussion board by the ending date of the course.
Continuing Certification Credits (CCCs): If you are participating in the continuing certification process, we will record 9 credits in your myNTC account the week after the course ends if you successfully completed the course requirements.
We will only grant extensions for one week after the ending date of the course for participants who contact an instructor before the end date of the course.
Who should register for this training event?
This training is open to all individuals who have completed Part I of the CWIC/Community Partner certification process and are either fully or provisionally certified. WIPA Project Directors may participate regardless of certification status. Certified POD Counselors are also welcome to participate.
Space is limited so please register early!
Registration will remain open until March 8, 2021. We will email confirmations of participation shortly thereafter.
If you have any questions regarding this training, please contact Julie Schall at email@example.com or 804-827-0741.
We look forward to your participation in this important training event!