Supplemental WIPA Training Programs
WIPA NTDC Supplemental Training: Understanding Medicare Web Course (November/December 2021)
Format: Web Course
Date(s): November 8 - December 8, 2021
This four-week web course provides practical information on Medicare. The course will include an overview of the basics of Medicare and Medicare eligibility. Additionally, the course provides more detailed information about the Medicare Savings Programs and the Low-income Subsidy. The course will include assessments involving questions based on the material presented in each lesson. We will also have a discussion board that you will use to ask questions and post comments to help you understand the principles you have learned through discussion with other participants.
During this training you will learn:
- The CWIC’s role with Medicare issues and questions;
- The basic structure and requirements for Medicare;
- The basics of covered services, enrollment and costs for Part A, Part B, Part C, and Part D;
- The basics of Medigap, Medicare Coordination of Benefits and appeal rights;
- The CWIC’s role in advising on the effect of work on Medicare;
- What the Extended Period of Medicare Coverage is and when it will end for an individual;
- The Premium-HI for the Working Disabled eligibility requirements;
- When an individual can use Qualified Disabled Working Individual;
- The CWIC’s role regarding Medicare Savings Programs;
- The basic requirements and benefits of each Medicare Savings Program;
- How earnings affect eligibility for Medicare Savings Programs;
- The roles of Social Security and the State Medicaid agency regarding the Medicare Savings Programs;
- The CWIC’s role regarding Low Income Subsidy (LIS);
- The eligibility criteria and enrollment process for Full LIS and Partial LIS;
- The reporting requirements for LIS; and
- The effect of employment on LIS.
This course is largely self-directed and self-paced. We include all lessons and materials at the beginning of the course so that you can view them at your convenience. There is no set time to attend and complete each lesson; however, you must complete all course work must by the last day of the course.
Each of the subject lessons will require that you watch video presentations or access an alternate format including other supplemental materials to review. There will be a short assessment at the end of each lesson and you must achieve a score of 80% or better to pass each assessment. You will get two attempts to achieve a passing score. There is also required participation in a discussion board for this course.
Continuing Certification Credits (CCCs)
If you are participating in the continuing certification process, we will record nine (9) CCCs in your myNTC account after the course ends if you successfully completed the course requirements. If you are interested in CRCs, please contact Julie Schall at firstname.lastname@example.org once you receive the course completion email.
Who should register for this training event?
This training is open to all individuals who have completed Part I of the CWIC/Community Partner certification process or who are already certified. WIPA Program Directors may participate regardless of certification status. POD Counselors who are provisionally or fully certified are also welcome to participate.
How do I register?
In order to register for a VCU NTDC training, you must have a myNTC user account to do so. If you do not yet have a myNTC account, please create one on our website (https://vcu-ntdc.org/myntc/index.cfm).
Once you receive your myNTC login information via the email address you provided, log into your myNTC account, go to the Training Registrations section on the myNTC Welcome page, click on the Supplemental Trainings tab, and click on the Register Online link for the Understanding Medicare web course. Follow the instructions to complete your registration request.
Space is limited so please register early!