Supplemental WIPA Training Programs
WIPA NTDC Supplemental Training: Supporting Beneficiaries in Pursuit of Self-Employment Web Course (February 2024)
Format: Web Course
Date(s): February 5 - March 15, 2024
This course provides practical information on how to support and advise a beneficiary who is interested in pursuing self-employment. We begin the course with an overview of how Social Security defines self-employment and some basic business concepts. Building on this foundation, we explain how work incentives apply to self-employed beneficiaries in each disability program, and the role of the CWIC in self-employment cases.
During this training you will learn:
What constitutes self-employment and some basic business concepts.
- How self-employment impacts Title II, SSI and other public benefits.
- The CWIC roles and responsibilities in advising and supporting beneficiaries pursuing self-employment.
- Where you can find other resources to help support beneficiaries in areas not within the role of the CWIC.
- Practical tools and techniques to help you provide advisement and support beneficiaries who are pursuing or are engaged in self-employment.
We will address the following key topics:
- Lesson One: Defining Self Employment
- Lesson Two: Basic Business Concepts
- Lesson Three: Self-Employment and Title II
- Lesson Four: Self-Employment Income and SSI
- Lesson Five: PASS and Self-Employment
- Lesson Six: CWIC Role in Self Employment Cases
Each of the lessons contains a video presentation (or alternate format) and supplemental reading material. The course is largely self-directed and self-paced, but all required coursework must be completed by the last day of the course.
In order to receive credit for the course, you must complete the following three (3) requirements by the last day of the course:
- Complete each lesson assessment and score at least 80% (with two attempts);
- Complete the case study exercise and take a short knowledge check, which we will grade on a pass/fail basis. You will receive feedback on your answers as soon as you submit the knowledge check; and
- Post at least one question or comment about the course content on the Discussion Board before the end of the course.
Continuing Certification Credits (CCCs):
If you are participating in the continuing certification process, we will record 9 credits in your myNTC account the week after the course ends if you successfully completed the course requirements.
We will only grant extensions for one week after the ending date of the course for participants who contact an instructor before the end date of the course.
Who should register for this training event?
This training is open to all individuals who have completed Part I of the CWIC/Community Partner certification process and are either fully or provisionally certified. WIPA Project Directors may participate regardless of certification status.
How do I register?
Log into your myNTC account, and click on the Training Registrations section. Then choose the Supplemental Training tab, and register for the Supporting Beneficiaries in Pursuit of Self-Employment web course.
Space is limited so please register early!